Starting a YIMBY Organization
This is an article that outlines the steps a person needs to take to start a YIMBY organization for their community. If you have experience starting a YIMBY organization, please contribute your knowledge to this article.
- Check to see if there are existing YIMBY orgs in your area. The YIMBY organizations directory is a good place to start.
- Start gathering like minded people. Think of friends, neighbors, co-workers, people who testify at council meetings, urbanist groups, transit groups, social media.
- Set up some meetings where you discuss shared values and goals and additional meetings.
- Pick a name and set up the online infrastructure around it: domain name, social media.
- Set up a many to many group
- Set up a calendar
- Advertise in the comments section of local progressive blogs and on Twitter
- Find natural allies, such as cyclists and public transit advocates
- Go to meetings
Jeff Byrnes (of Somerville YIMBY, in Boston area). "How we created a YIMBY group… and you can too!" March 12, 2018.